Shop the Light It Up Yoke knit kit here!
The Light It Up Yoke is a circular yoke sweater knit seamlessly from the top-down featuring a turtleneck and an embroidered string of lights around the yoke.
This design is part of Lion Brand's 2022 Countdown to Christmas promotion. See the rest of the patterns here!
Yarn for Main Sweater: Worsted—Lion Brand Wool-Ease in 2 colorways: Fisherman and Black
- 80% Acrylic, 20% Wool
- 197 yds (180 m) per 3 oz (85 g) skein
- Find this yarn on lionbrand.com or visit yarnsub.com to find comparable substitutes.
4 (4, 4, 5, 5) [6, 6, 7, 7] skeins of Main Color (Fisherman), or
- 650 (675, 775, 825, 925) [1050, 1150, 1275, 1375] yds
- 594 (617, 709, 754, 846) [960, 1052, 1166, 1257] m
1 (2, 2, 2, 2) [2, 2, 2, 2] skein(s) of Accent (Black) or
- 190 (210, 215, 235, 250) [300, 315, 350, 365] yds
- 174 (192, 197, 215, 229) [274, 288, 320, 334] m
Yarn for Lights: DK—1 package of Lion Brand Bonbons in Crayons; package comes with 8 mini skeins, each skein consisting of the following:
- 100% Acrylic
- 28 yds (26 m) per 3 oz (10 g) skein
- Find this yarn on lionbrand.com or opt to use any category #3, light, DK weight yarn in 8 different colorways for the lights.
- If substituting the yarn for the lights, all sizes will need approximately 24 yds (22 m) total of scrap yarn, equivalent to 3 yds (3 m) used from each mini skein.
Notions: Tapestry needle, distinct stitch marker to mark BOR, scrap yarn for placing work on hold (I recommend using a contrasting color), several stitch markers to help with placing the lights.
Needles Required: Size U.S. 9 (5.5 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge with the following suggested cord lengths:
- 12-16” (30-40 cm) cord for turtleneck, yoke, and upper sleeves
- 32-40” (80-100 cm) cord for body, or cord long enough to accommodate all body sts for your size
- 8-9” (20-23 cm) circulars, DPNs, or your preferred method of smaller circumference knitting for the lower sleeve and cuffs. You can also use the magic loop method to complete the sleeves using a longer cord length, if preferred.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Sizing: This sweater is written in nine sizes as follows: XS (S, M, L, XL) [2X, 3X, 4X, 5X]. Make sure to follow the numbers for your size only.
Stitch Counts: Stitch counts are listed below each row/rnd in italics. If no stitch count is given, there has been no change since the previous row/rnd. If only one number is provided, it applies to all sizes.
- An “x” indicates that particular instruction does not apply to your size.
Construction: The turtleneck is knit first in your contrasting color. Then, you will switch to your main color and work a few German Short Rows for a better-fitting neckline, then you will begin increasing until reaching your specified length before splitting your yoke into four quadrants: 1 front, 1 back, and 2 sleeves. You will knit the remainder of the body in the round while your two sleeves are on hold, then you will knit the sleeves. Once your sweater is complete, you will block it. Lastly, once dry, you will embroider the curly strand of colored lights!
German Short Rows: This pattern uses short-row shaping in the back-neck. The short rows essentially create a crescent shape of additional stitches within your fabric to help shape your work without affecting the total number of stitches on your needles. In this pattern, the short rows help create additional fabric near the back-neck so that the front of the sweater doesn’t rise up and push on your throat. The short-rows allow for more fabric in the back of your sweater, allowing the front to sit a little bit lower. (You are welcome to substitute wrap and turns or any other short-row method in place of the German Short Rows if you prefer.) If it is your first time working German Short Rows, be sure to watch the video linked below.
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE:
Immediately after purchase, you will instantly receive a digital download of the PDF crochet pattern. Please include your email when prompted (be sure it's spelled correctly). Please send me an email if you don’t receive the download link!
Book: Modern Crochet Sweaters: 20 Chic Designs For Everyday Wear
© 2022 KnitsNKnots, Designed by Janine Myska